5.12.2010

try it tuesday: bonnet 1.0

every tuesday i am going to try to post a tutorial... either one by me or one that has inspired me.... whether i am happy with the outcome or not.  and while i do realize that today is wednesday (although i have been known to lose track of the days), i had a bit too much on my plate to get a post done yesterday.

so without further ado, welcome to my first (of hopefully many) try it tuesday!

bonnet 1.0


while in a mommy&me class on monday i came across this picture which inspired me to make a bonnet. and with most things i find out in the world that inspire me, i grabbed my phone and snapped a photo.  i am a visual learner (and short term memory ... aka mom brain... doesn't help much these days), so i tend to rip, snap, keep, store, post pictures everywhere throughout my life.

that same day after we got home from our class i found an email from prudent baby with a hooded towel tutorial that included a hood template.  it was perfect... the shape of a bonnet.  it was like the world heard my wish to make a bonnet and provided a way (way to go world!)!  so, here is a little play by play of what i did*.....


1.  using the hood template from prudent baby, i cut 2 pieces of the main bonnet fabric and 2 pieces of the lining.  then using 45" wide fabric, i cut approx 2" off the end to use to make the bias tape.







2.  i then i got my bias tape all set and put that aside for later.  (you can also use ready made bias tape).  right sides together, i pinned the 2 pieces the the main fabric together and the 2 pieces of the lining together.  i then sewed both the inner and outer pieces.

3.  with the inner and outer sides of the bonnet sewn together, i ironed the seams open (my mom would be so proud!).   i then pinned the inner and outer pieces together -again, right sides together - taking my time to make sure the seams were lined up.

4.   i then sewed the BOTTOM of the bonnet.  after i did that, i flipped the pieces over so that wrong sides were together and the bottom of the bonnet had a nice finish.   i took my time to smooth the fabric out and make sure the seams were lined up.   i pressed with an iron.

5.   i grabbed my ready to go bias tape and folded it in half, strongly pressing on the fold marking the halfway point.  i used that mark to line up my tape at the top of the bonnet so that the tape would have equal length on both sides.  i then pinned the bias tap around the front of the bonnet.  once the bias tape was pinned in place, i did a finishing stitch around the bias tape being sure to fold in the ends of the tape for a clean, finished look.



and voila!  an easy-peasy bonnet.  from start to finish it would take about 30-40 minutes.... however, being that none of my kids napped yesterday it took me a wee bit longer.




next week for try it tuesday i am going to attempt bonnet 2.0.... while this one turned out great and does the job of a bonnet, i am going to try out another bonnet at a suggestion of a friend.  same idea, just different template.  should be super cute.  stay tuned.

until next time....
             

* a little disclaimer that i am *very* new to sewing.  sure, i made a killer pillow in home ec back in the junior high days, but let's just say it has been a few years since then.  i have been back sewing just for a few months and only in my spare time, which can be hard to come by.  i will always do my best to explain what i have done, but i may mix up technical words or not use the best, most up to date technique.  i am always open to helpful suggestions and other ideas.  there is a learning curve to everything and i am just starting down that curve.  thanks!

1 comment:

  1. hi there! what a great idea! your bonnet is soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete